A forum to discuss Bible Translations

Introduce yourself

Come here to fellowship with fellow forum members.
TWTY-Admin
Site Admin

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby TWTY-Admin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:41 pm

No offence taken toni, and I doubt anyone would do, especially as what you said is true.

The OLS still contains many things that just agree with each other, but thankfully they give the base-texts that I've been using for the translations on TWTY.

So, my advice to people is this: save up your monies, and get the OLS :)
TWTY website and forum Administrator.

Please respect everyone, and try to not get too heated when discussing one's point of view :)

toni

Postby toni » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:13 pm

excellent! OLS it is! really looking forward to getting a look at the Dead Sea Scrolls. I've heard tell of people who went to "such n such" museum to get a personal glimpse of the scroll only to find that they had a tiny tiny piece of parchment, under dark glass and dark lighting! What a let down that would be.

What do you suppose the hold up has been for all the years? A conspiracy in the making, if you ask me! Why would they be hidden away, barely allowing anyone the chance to study them? Are they secretly changing or counterfeiting them to agree with the modern translations? Makes me wonder.

I'm loving the freedom here to ask questions and express ideas.

toni

Rob

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:25 pm

also - any use of a simple lexicon or concordance can be better than nothing, so although things aren't perfect it's a good start.

TWTY-Admin
Site Admin

Postby TWTY-Admin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:32 pm

I think it's more due to the fact that the DSS are so old, moving them about all the time is very, very dangerous, so once they've been moved once, they basically have to stay there.

In most Museums where they have scraps from the DSS, they actually keep them in rooms that've been tuned to the exact same temperature and lighting conditions that they were found in the Qumran Caves. They obviously managed to stay put for so long without being disturbed or becoming completely damaged, so the caves really were the most perfect hiding spot for them, so Museums are making sure they stay that way.

And having taken over four years to translate just the Renewed Covenant Writings, I can fully sympathise with what a massive task it is, even for a group of people, to carefully look at, transcribe, and translate the works of the DSS.

Not to mention the fact that different people have access to different manuscripts at different times. Probably have to wait a few months before you can get onto the next verse!

And yes, I hope this place is as open to questions and idea expression as much as is humanly possible. Glad it's already having such an effect :)

And Rob is right - a simple lexicon will be better than 20 English Bible translations, even if a Lexicon isn't as perfect as one would hope :)
TWTY website and forum Administrator.

Please respect everyone, and try to not get too heated when discussing one's point of view :)

Juski

Postby Juski » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi I'm Ju - wife of Rob, mother of 3. I spend most of my time talking about Yah, and breastfeeding, and campaigning for stupid council leaders to do their jobs properly! Life as a full time mum is very exciting: potty training is my latest joy.

I know nothing about Greek and Hebrew so really appreciate Swalch dealing with my many questions :)

Theophilus

Postby Theophilus » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Greetings All,

I'm so pleased to learn of this forum's exisitence and to see familar "faces" already here. My actual name is already taken by a forum member, but will be content to go by Theo here.

I too welcome open discussion and exploration in joint discovery. Like many here, I've come to question the accuracy of our popular English translations and now value knowing the source texts and language tools used in rendering. FWIW,an accurate and verified Septuigent would be most valuable I think even to see where vairences with the DSS occur.

-Theophilus

Rob

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:45 pm

Yo Yo Theo! :D

(it rhymes and everything!)

YahTselem

Postby YahTselem » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:47 pm

Hello. Some of ya know me cuz I am yah tselem on another forum. I am happily married and we have 4 kids, all school age, well actually one of them is too young for school. We all know & love YHWH, we read about him and observe the feast days together. I am thankful to Yah for bringing me out of religion(christianity - baptist, then non-denominational, then finally non-church - meaning we don't go at all because I got tired of unlearning everything that they were teaching the kids which was so confusing for them). I seek to be used by him as a useful implement in whatever way he can use me. I really appreciate this site because I use it whenever I need to look up a verse from the 1st century writings. Frankly, until I learn to translate Greek, it's the only version I trust. I'm currently working on translating Jeremiah, well first draft anyways, using logos original languages. Also, we are studying the feasts because they are coming up. I am also working on writing a couple books. A year ago my health took a bad turn.. Before that, I was exercising and playing sports 6 days a week, and now most days I barely have the energy to go to the mailbox and back, although I do have "good days" along with the bad, but nowhere near the energy I used to have.. but I am trusting Yah and seeking his help w/ healing in his perfect timing. I am anti-religious, anti-politics, anti-patriotic, anti-bigpharma, proYah and proFamily and pro-anything 80's. :lol:

Royce

Postby Royce » Thu May 19, 2011 3:35 am

Hey folks. I was at the YY site for a little bit and notices TWTY-Admins posts and then found his site. I live in the USA, North MS. I have an awesome wife and 3 year old son. I just started my own business about a year ago.
The world is crazy these days folks. Take life light and try to be happy as much as you can.
See you in the forum.
Royce

Rob

Postby Rob » Thu May 19, 2011 9:06 am

Hey guys :D Welcome :)

Return to “Fellowship”