A forum to discuss Bible Translations

Text of Micah

Discuss Translations of the Tanakh, or bring your own for discussion!
TWTY-Admin
Site Admin

Text of Micah

Postby TWTY-Admin » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:27 pm

You should now be able to download the text of Micah as seen in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Use this topic to ask questions/post comments regarding this small, yet highly fascinating book :)
TWTY website and forum Administrator.

Please respect everyone, and try to not get too heated when discussing one's point of view :)

Rob

Re: Text of Micah

Postby Rob » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:22 pm

awesomes :D

GldChow

Postby GldChow » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:40 am

Shalom, downloaded text this morning and have spent some time comparing it to Dead Sea Scrolls Bible and ISA 2 basic. Just into 1st chapter and it looks like Stephen has done a great job.
I'll load LOGOS and read some more late tonight. I'll try to reference to Lexham Interlinear.

If you load a copy of DIVVY you can split the screen so that the PDF file lines up with the ISA 2 basic interlinear so you can read the Hebrew and English direct at the same time. The export feature will allow the current ISA 2 basic file to be copied. I enlarge the file to make printed copies easy to read.

Shalom, GldChow.

Juski

Postby Juski » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:15 pm

So what interesting points/differences did you find?

Any chance of an english version so we know what the texts actually say!?

TWTY-Admin
Site Admin

Postby TWTY-Admin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:38 am

Well when it comes down to it, despite there being over 1000 years between the DSS and the Masoretic Hebrew, the Wadi Murabba'at text only has 12 differences between the recovered text and the Masoretic. The differences and what they indicate are as follows:

1:2: There is an addition of a Vav/ו before "pay attention" (הַקְשִׁיבִי). The Vav/ו includes "and" to the text, changing it from "Hear you peoples, all of you; pay attention O earth" to "Hear you peoples, all of you; and pay attention O earth".

1:4: There is a change of letter, where a dalet is changed to a kaf. There is no change in meaning however, as they both mean "like" ("like wax before the fire").

This also applies to 1:8; 4:10 & 12.

2:7: There is an omitted Vav from the final word in the verse, which changes the tense from "walks" to "walked".

5:7 (which is actually 5:8 in modern Bibles): There is a change of letter, of a Kaf to a Bet, changing the sentence "like a lion" to "with a lion".

6:4: There is an added Yod/י to the first word meaning "brought", but as far as I can tell, there is no change of meaning. Just appears to be a fuller form of the word.

6:6: There is an omitted Vav from the word translated as "come before him with burnt offerings", which appears to change it to "go at the time of the offerings".

7:5: There is an added Vav before "have no confidence", therefore adding an "and" before it ("and have no confidence").

7:12: There is an added Bet at the start of the verse, including "On" before "that day".

7:17: There is an added Yod to the word translated as "shall be in fear", which changes the tense to "they were afraid".

And that's pretty much it for the Wadi Murabba'at text. I have yet to check the other fragments as to what the differences mean.

And no, no English version. Unless you want to do one yourself :)
TWTY website and forum Administrator.

Please respect everyone, and try to not get too heated when discussing one's point of view :)

Return to “Tanakh”