A forum to discuss Bible Translations

Was Shaul really know as Paul?

Discuss the Renewed Covenant and Paul's writings, or produce your own for discussion!
willbrinsonferguson

Was Shaul really know as Paul?

Postby willbrinsonferguson » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:13 am

HERAIC ROOTS VERSION {Act 13:9}
But Shaul, who is also Paul

Shaul is of the Hebrew - meaning "asked (for)/(of Yahuwah)" or "desired", while Paul is of a Latin origin - meaning "little" or "small".

THE COMPLETE WORD STUDY DICTIONARY:
G3972
Παῦλος
Paúlos; gen. Paúlou, masc. proper noun. Paul, meaning "small", whereas Saul (his Hebr. name) means "asked for".

NEW AMERICAN STANDARD EXHAUSTED CONCORDANCE:
H7586
שׁאוּל
Shaul (982b); from H7592; “asked (of Yah)

Brown-Driver-Brigg' Hebrew Definition:
H7586
שׁאוּל
shâ'ûl
Saul or Shaul = “desired”

STRONG' DICTIONARY:
H7586
שׁאוּל
shâ'ûl
shaw-ool'
Passive participle of H7592; "asked"; Shaul

G4549
Σαούλ
Saoul
sah-ool'
Of Hebrew origin [H7586]; Saul (that is, Shaul), the Jewish name of Paul: - Compare G4569.

G4569
Σαῦλος
Saulos
sow'-los
Of Hebrew origin, the same as G4549; Saulus (that is, Shaul), the Jewish name of Paul: - Saul.

G3972
Παῦλος
Paulos
pow'-los
Of Latin origin; ("little"; but remotely from a derivative of G3973, meaning the same); Paulus: - Paul.

Can anybody tell me if "who is also Paul" is in the oldest Greek or Aramaic text of Acts 13:9? THE SCRIPTURES 1998 version does not have this phrase in Acts 13:9, nor do they ever use the name Paul at any time. I am wondering was Shaul ever really called Paul or is THE SCRIPTURES 1998 version being silly? I checked ever translation I could and only THE SCRIPTURE 1998 version has left this out and consistantly calls Shaul Shaul where others call him Paul.

(I do not have copys of the Anceint Text muchless could I read them at this point in time, so telling me to go check it out myself is not fessible)
May,
YHWH bless thee and keep thee;
YHWH cause His face to shine on thee, and be gracious to thee;
YHWH lift up His face to thee, and give thee shalom.

Your brother in Y'hoshuah The Anointed One.

https://www.wuala.com/TheTexasRAT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TWTY-Admin
Site Admin

Re: Was Shaul really know as Paul?

Postby TWTY-Admin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:06 am

The oldest manuscript to contain Acts 13:9 is Papyrus 45, a manuscript dated to around 200 CE. Unfortunately, it's quite fragmentary, so the whole of verse 9 isn't extant.

However, the following words are: [κ]αι Παυλος, πλησθεις ΠΝΣ αγιου, και ατενισας ε[ις] / [k]ai paulos, plestheis PNS hagiou, kai atenisas e[is] / also Paul, filled with Spirit Set-Apart, and looked intently tow[ards].

The words "also Paul" translate the Greek και Παυλος/kai paulos which is the end of the phrase "And Saul, who is also Paul..."

So yes, the oldest manuscript of Acts 13:9 is evidence towards this phrase, which should be more than enough evidence.

The next earliest witness is Codex Sinaiticus (around 325-350CE), which has: σαυλος δε ο και παυλος πλησθεις ΠΝΣ αγιου ατενισας εις αυτον / Saulos de ho kai Paulos plestheis PNS hagiou atenisas eis auton / Saul but, who is also Paul, filled with the Spirit set-apart looked intently towards him.

As you can see, Sinaiticus and Papyrus 45 are almost identical word for word (Papyrus 45 has an additional και /kai meaning "and", so hardly anything important). And if Papyrus 45 had been preserved in its entirety, I would expect to have seen σαυλος δε ο/saulos de ho in the text.

Failing that, there's Papyrus 46, a manuscript dated to around 150 CE containing Romans, Hebrews, 1 & 2 Corinthians, Ephesians, Galatians, Philippians, Colossians, and 1 Thessalonians. And these preserve the usage of "Paul" in their text.

You'll find with many Messianics (from whom "The Scriptures" is a product), is that they have this bizarre hatred for all things Greek. And yet, the earliest and best manuscript evidence for the text of the NT, is all Greek.

So the reason that have Shaul instead of Paul is nothing to do with any evidence at all, only their anti-Greek polemic and agenda, which is a dreadful shame.
TWTY website and forum Administrator.

Please respect everyone, and try to not get too heated when discussing one's point of view :)

willbrinsonferguson

Re: Was Shaul really know as Paul?

Postby willbrinsonferguson » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:02 am

Thanks TWTY-Admin, I will use Paul (pronounced: POW-los) in Scriptures that have this name for Shaul (pronounced: shaw-OOL) without worrying about others that reject this name. Awmane.
May,
YHWH bless thee and keep thee;
YHWH cause His face to shine on thee, and be gracious to thee;
YHWH lift up His face to thee, and give thee shalom.

Your brother in Y'hoshuah The Anointed One.

https://www.wuala.com/TheTexasRAT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Renewed Covenant”