A forum to discuss Bible Translations

The Fig Tree

Discuss the Renewed Covenant and Paul's writings, or produce your own for discussion!
Hephzibah

The Fig Tree

Postby Hephzibah » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:24 pm

Can some one explain the fig tree scenario to me? Isn't it against the Torah to kill a fruit tree? Thanks in advance!

sestir

Re: The Fig Tree

Postby sestir » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:39 pm

Is it this law you have in mind?
When thou layest siege unto a city many days, to fight against it, to capture it, thou dost not destroy its trees to force an axe against them, for of them thou dost eat, and them thou dost not cut down — for man's is the tree of the field — to go in at thy presence in the siege. Only, the tree, which thou knowest that it is not a fruit-tree, it thou dost destroy, and hast cut down, and hast built a bulwark against the city which is making with thee war till thou hast subdued it. — Deuteronomy 20:19-20, YLT
Then there is this incident:
... and in the morning turning back to the city, he [Jesus] hungered,
and having seen a certain fig-tree on the way, he came to it, and found nothing in it except leaves only, and he saith to it, 'No more from thee may fruit be — to the age;' and forthwith the fig-tree withered.
And the disciples having seen, did wonder, saying, 'How did the fig-tree forthwith wither?'
And Jesus answering said to them, 'Verily I say to you, If ye may have faith, and may not doubt, not only this of the fig-tree shall ye do, but even if to this mount ye may say, Be lifted up and be cast into the sea, it shall come to pass; and all — as much as ye may ask in the prayer, believing, ye shall receive.' — Matthiew 21:18-22.
... and this parable:
A certain one had a fig-tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit in it, and he did not find; and he said unto the vine-dresser, Lo, three years I come seeking fruit in this fig-tree, and do not find, cut it off, why also the ground doth it render useless?
'And he answering saith to him, Sir, suffer it also this year, till that I may dig about it, and cast in dung; and if indeed it may bear fruit —; and if not so, thereafter thou shalt cut it off.' — Luke 13:6b-9.
If so, in a literal sense it did not break the law since they did not besiege a town. Considering the purpose of the law maybe the main purpose was to maintain a supply of fruit to the people so they would not have to starve. Since both trees mentioned failed to give fruit, cutting them down would not have affected the supply negatively. Were there any other laws about preserving fig trees, or any other purposes of this law?

Hephzibah

Re: The Fig Tree

Postby Hephzibah » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks! I have been reading 26 reasons Jews aren't for Jesus, and this was the one thing that I wasnt familiar with. It kinda had me saying... Huh :roll:

Return to “Renewed Covenant”